Getting sick with vomiting and diarrhea after eating is commonly called food poisoning. Food-borne illness is most likely caused by a virus, by bacteria, or by a parasite. To prevent more people from getting sick, please report to us any illness that you suspect may be related to a public food or water source such as a restaurant, grocery store, public event, or campsite in Snohomish County.
Don’t get sick from spoiled or improperly cooked foods this holiday season. The Snohomish Health District advises you to discard all potentially hazardous foods. When in doubt, throw it out! Here is some helpful information to keep you and your loved ones happy--and safe--with holiday cooking.
Most people recover from food poisoning and similar illnesses (such as norovirus) without any lasting effects, but it is important that we investigate these occurrences to ensure that more people do not get sick.
The most common symptoms of foodborne illness include:
- Abdominal pain
Report food poisoning in Snohomish County
If you believe you became ill with vomiting or diarrhea within 72 hours (3 days) after eating in a restaurant or purchasing food in Snohomish County, please contact us for a brief phone interview.
If you have a serious case of foodborne illness, please seek medical attention first.
Unsanitary or unsafe conditions in food establishments
If you are concerned about unsanitary or unsafe conditions in a Snohomish County food establishment, please fill out a Complaint Investigation Request (PDF).
The Environmental Health Division follows up on complaints to ensure that businesses are safely following the food safety rules and regulations. Please do not use this form to report possible food-borne illness.
Don’t get sick from spoiled foods. With power outages, the risk of foodborne illnesses increases. Make sure to monitor freezer and refrigerator food temperatures. If power has been off for an extended period of time, the Snohomish Health District advises you to discard all potentially hazardous foods. When in doubt, throw it out!