Related Pages
You are using an unlicensed and unsupported version of Evoq Content. Please contact for information on how to obtain a valid license.
You are here : Waste  >  Garbage & Waste

Garbage & Waste

Snohomish Health District is involved in permitting and monitoring how garbage and other waste is handled in Snohomish County.

Our Safe Environments Program:

  • Permits and inspects solid waste handling facilities
  • Monitors private water wells near landfills
  • Provides assistance to small businesses and schools regarding best management practices for their waste
  • Responds to complaints from the public regarding waste

Garbage complaints

We investigate complaints concerning the following activities:

  • Garbage that attracts flies or rodents, such as uncontained piles of garbage, or garbage not removed weekly
  • Illegal dumping on private or public property without the owner's permission
  • Rat infestations
  • Hazardous waste leaks, chemical or oil spills that pollute water or soil, including preliminary investigations on behalf of the Department of Ecology when oil spills or other hazardous releases are reported to them

When we receive a complaint we investigate the concern and work to resolve the issue with involved parties.

How to file a complaint

Contact the Health District by phone, email, or download and return a Complaint Investigation Request (PDF). Your name and phone number are kept confidential, but they help ensure we can do proper follow-up and investigation. Anonymous complaints may not be investigated.

Please be prepared to provide the following information:

  • What is the problem? Describe the type of nuisance and how often it happens
  • Where is the problem? Street address or cross streets, plus city and zip code
  • What kind of material is involved? What type of garbage or waste
  • How much is there?
  • Who is responsible for the material? Name of person causing violation, if known

Other complaints

Snohomish Health District does not investigate the following types of complaints. Please visit the partners linked below.

Junk on property or code violations. Please contact your city government or Snohomish County Code Enforcement, depending on where the property is located.

Air quality or burn ban enforcement. Please contact the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency. Snohomish County and local fire districts issue burning permits.

Water quality issues regarding pollution and storm water
. Please contact Snohomish County Surface Water Management for concerns in unincorporated county, or Washington State Department of Ecology.

Hazardous material spill or release. To report a spill of oil or hazardous materials, please contact your local fire department or the Washington State Department of Ecology. 

Pesticide complaints. Complaints related to human health are investigated by Washington State Department of Health. Please contact the Washington State Department of Agriculture for complaints involving pesticide use, misuse, drift, damage, storage, and disposal.

Garbage dumps and disposal facilities

Garbage must be disposed of at an approved Snohomish County Solid Waste Facility. See Snohomish County for a list of garbage and recycling transfer stations.

Contact us

Safe Environments

3020 Rucker Ave., Suite 104
Everett, WA 98201


8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Monday through Friday

Did you know?
We received 857 complaints about garbage and waste in 2013.